Skip to main content

A Promised Land by Barak Obama

 

I’ll start by saying that A Promised Land is a looooong read. The hardback weighs in at 701 pages, not including Acknowledgements and Index and I have to say that the index is very comprehensive. I got it for Christmas 2020, which was a lovely surprise. It had been on my book wish list, which I handily keep very visible so the husband can see it, but I hadn’t actually expected to get the hardback because a book of this size ain’t cheap. I’ve been picking away at it through January and February, mainly reading a chapter or two every couple of days with a cup of tea in the afternoon – I would say it’s probably not a bedtime read because it’s a book that definitely requires concentration.

I’m not American, but I did emigrate to Canada the year before Obama became US president and I do live right on the 49th parallel so I read this book as a more than interested bystander to this period of US political and social history. Opinions differ on whether he was a good or effective president depending on where you sit on the political divide and if you don’t agree with his politics, you’re probably not reading this book anyway. However that aside, one thing I can say with certainty is that I’ve always thought that Barak Obama is a good, well intentioned human being trying to do a difficult job in a hostile political environment and this book has reinforced that belief.

He says at the start that he initially thought he could write about his time in office in around 500 pages. In fact this book only covers the period from his earliest thoughts of politics through to part way through the second year of his first term as president. So it’s no surprise that this is only the first volume of presidential memoirs. I’ll be surprised if he can fit the other six years into just one more book.

Although the book is long and covers a relatively short time in the White House, it’s not a self-indulgent book. It’s a book that reflects the man himself, who sweats the small stuff and believes that the minutiae of sound policy making and listening to as many points of view as possible is as important as the seemingly effortless public oratory that mark his public appearances (as an aside, as an ex-government communications person whose job included speechwriting, I can say creating effortless oratory is usually anything but effortless). He says in the preface that he wanted to pull the curtain back on life in the White House, not only of what it was like to be president, but also to highlight the work of all the people who work behind and in front of the scenes. In doing this he emphasises that while the buck stops at the Resolute Desk, there are many voices in the room that lead up to both the large and small decisions that steer the course of the United States.

As I said, I’m not American but I think it’s pretty obvious that with the best will in the world it was going to be almost impossible for him to live up to the expectations that were laid on his shoulders as the first African American president and as a non-establishment Democrat coming to office after eight years of Bush Republicanism. One of the things that shocked me in reading this book is to remember just how much was going on in the first couple of years of Obama’s first term. He inherited an economy in freefall after the 2008 economic meltdown. Hard on the heels of that came an H1N1 outbreak, which resonates in today’s pandemic world. The Deepwater Horizon disaster happened and the Arab Spring was blossoming in the middle east. The book ends with the operation to kill Osama Bin Laden. Any one of those would be challenging in terms of both politics and policy, but getting them all stacked up one after another or in some cases concurrently is enough to make anyone put their head in their hands and wonder why the hell they took on a job like that in the first place.

But before the book gets into that, there are whole fascinating sections about his early career, both in and out of politics and his family roots. There is also a great section detailing the length of the madness in the US presidential campaign cycle which has always boggled my mind, with an excellent accounting of Obama’s campaign running against Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination and then for the presidency itself. It’s also really interesting to read about their relationship once Obama won the presidency and how Hillary was initially reluctant to take the offered role of Secretary of State.

Outside of the big events it is many of the personal details that resonate and he’s clear on the effect of the presidency on his family. How Michelle Obama and their daughters Sasha and Malia responded is important to his narrative and I really appreciated that, because it’s an acknowledgement that being president is not all about him. Candid comments about the toll campaigning took on family life, about Michelle’s response when he said he wanted to run for president, his pride in how she carved her own niche as First Lady to promote causes she was passionate about and how their daughters Sasha and Malia adapted to the restrictions of life in the White House paint a fuller picture of both Obama the politician and Obama the man. The importance of their strong family relationships is a bedrock theme of this accounting and I appreciated that he is honest enough to acknowledge that it wasn’t all plain sailing.

Inevitably Trump looms on the horizon. He doesn’t get mentioned until fairly late on but reading this book after four years of Trumpism, it’s both refreshing to be reminded of a time when there was a thoughtful adult in the White House and shocking to realise just how quickly the idealism and internationalism of Obama’s administration sank into the petty name calling, self-interest and nationalism that characterised the Trump presidency. All I can say is Biden has a big job ahead of him to reset the course and that I’m rooting for him. Anyway, much as I hate to give him page space, I’ll return to Trump for a moment. Being reminded about the proliferation of the birther rumours promoted by Trump and his ilk is a demonstration of just how threatened some people were by having an African American in the White House and it’s interesting to see how a joke about the birther rumour by Obama at Trump's expense at the White House Correspondents Dinner caused the room to laugh, but Trump didn’t. Trump doesn’t like to be laughed at and you can imagine the roots of an animosity that was already taking hold through the birther rumour-mongering start to crystallise in that moment into an obsession to obliterate any and all of Obama's achievements, both large and small. One small thing I really enjoyed is while Obama doesn’t spend a lot of time on Trump, the small titbits he does write about are priceless, such as Trump offering to plug the Deepwater Horizon well and when that was declined, because you know, he doesn’t exactly have the resumé for the job, Trump immediately pivoted to offering to build “a beautiful ballroom” on the south lawn of the White House – how very multi-talented of him…

One of the main takeaways from the book is just how partisan US politics has become and how the Republicans led by Mitch McConnell constantly voted against bills just because they were proposed by Democrats (something we’re seeing again in the early months of Biden’s term). One of the most horrifying quotes is from when Obama and his team are trying to come up with variations on economic stimulus that Republicans might support and one Republican senator is quoted as saying “but the worse people feel right now, the better it is for us.” So much for politicians being elected to represent the people!

This is a book with a lot of heft, both physically and intellectually. It’s a picture of Obama as family man, politician, idealist, negotiator and realist – all the things that go into the make up of a leader. In the end I took away the impression of Obama as a moral man trying to live up to impossible expectations. How history will judge him remains to be seen, but as I say, it was refreshing to be reminded of the time when there was a grown up in the White House before the madness of the last four years. I look forward to reading the next volume of his memoirs when they appear, which will probably run for another 700 pages.

 On a final note, Pierre Trudeau once described Canada’s relationship with the US to Richard Nixon with the memorable works "Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt." I was reminded of the quote because as I was typing up this review, I kept calling the book ‘The Promised Land’ and had to correct it to ‘A Promised Land’. The difference is small but important. The book paints a portrait of a man who walks that difficult political and personal line between being a passionate believer in what the US could be, while also being a passionate internationalist. To that extent he believes that the US still has potential to live up to the ideals of the great ‘American experiment’ in democracy but at the same time he acknowledges the United States' dominant position in the world of global economic, social and political affairs (hence the Trudeau quote) and that other countries have their own rich history and social, economic, cultural and political pride. To that end, the decision to call the book ‘A Promised Land’ rather than the more emphatic ‘The Promised Land’ feels incredibly appropriate. Trump on the other hand would likely have used ‘The’ for the premise of something typical hyperbolic like ‘The Great Big, Beautiful Promised Land’.

On a final, final note, apart from being a very well-written book, it also contains some great photographs that provide a peek behind the scenes of Obama’s life and presidency – with his family, on the campaign trail, on state visits as well as informal snapshots of life in and out of the White House. Sometimes a book of this heft, written by someone who is extremely detail orientated can get bogged down and these photos provide an immediacy that gives real life to some of the heavier sections - a bit like seeing a film before you read the book it’s based on. Having said that, I’d say wholeheartedly to anyone, yes look at the photos, but definitely read the book because it’s worth your time.

A Promised Land by Barak Obama was first published in 2020 and my copy was published by Crown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of the King by Anthony Sher

Books are one of my main pleasures, and I would have expected that in these most peculiar of times that my book habit would have magnified, but weirdly it hasn’t. I think as much as anything it is the sheer abnormality of the times we are in has meant that I haven’t been able to concentrate and settle into anything. I have started and stopped a number of books over the last month (running the gamut from John Le Carr é to Gore Vidal), not because they weren’t good or engaging or interesting, but because I just wasn’t in the mood for them. The trouble is, I didn’t know what I was in the mood for, which meant going back to my bookshelves and starting again. In the end I went with the maxim that if in doubt, go back to a book that you know by heart and just float along in its tide. So I did. The book in question was The Year of the King by Anthony Sher, his recounting of his year preparing to play Richard III at Stratford for the RSC in the mid 80’s and how his famous spider interpre

Short hiatus

 I’ve decided to put my blog on hiatus for a couple of months. It was always meant to add some fun and thoughtfulness to my reading, but I’ve been finding lately that it’s actually been getting in the way because I’ve noticed that I’ve been reading with an eye on ‘WHAT I’M GOING TO SAY…’ rather than just reading for enjoyment and then deciding what I think after I’m finished. Recently, this has been making me feel like I’m planning a self-inflicted book report for school rather than my general rambling thoughts about a book.  I know a lot of this is related to general COVID grumpiness – I’m reading a lot because there is very little else to do and instead of allowing a book to take me on a journey, I’m finding myself stuck in the present because I’m taking notes for what I’m going to say in my comments. So much is out of our control at the moment, but reading and thinking about reading in the time of COVID is within my control because this is my blog. To this end I’m going to give my

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

  You can come to a new book in so many ways – a review, a recommendation from a friend, desperation at the airport or station where you will sometimes buy just about anything so you have something to while away a few hours when you can’t go anywhere. I’ve bought books on the basis of all three of these and I think most people would agree that the first two methods are usually, but not always the most reliable because it’s really embarrassing when a friend loves something you really hate! I came to Giovanni’s Room after reading an interesting interview with Sharmaine Lovegrove who has worked as a bookseller for over twenty years, but couldn’t get a job in publishing. She argues that there is a real disconnect between the publishing industry and readers. The interview is worth reading in its own right, but it also lead me to another article written two years earlier in which she takes about the lack of diversity in UK publishing, her own history as a book seller including opening a